Eleven people have died after eating rice that had likely been contaminated with a toxic substance at a Hindu temple ceremony, a health official said Saturday. Another 29 people were critically ill and undergoing emergency treatment across various hospitals in Mysore, a city in the state of Karnataka.
“11 people have died so far and 93 others are hospitalised. Out of them, 29 are on ventilator support,” said K. H. Prasad, the health officer for Chamraj Nagar district where the temple is located.
The patients were being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea and respiratory distress, Prasad added.
Murugappa, a devotee who was present at the temple, said they were offered tomato rice and flavoured water.
“A foul smell was emanating from the food, but those at the head of the queue consumed the food nonetheless,” “A little while later they started vomiting and frothing at the mouth.” Source : BSS