Uber, the world’s largest on-demand ride-sharing company, marked 3 years of operations in Bangladesh by launching the much awaited ‘UberPOOL’ in Dhaka. With millions of trips completed in the past 3 years and with thousands of new weekly partner sign ups, Bangladesh is one of the key markets for Uber’s global portfolio.
‘UberPOOL’ is a new ridesharing option that allows riders to join, or ‘POOL’, with other riders with similar routes in the same Uber, and share the cost of the trip. Shared rides like UberPOOL are all about getting more people into fewer cars. It means cheaper rides for passengers, longer, more-rewarding trips for drivers, and less congestion for cities over time. The trip fare on UberPOOL can be up to 40% lower than the UberX fare for the same distance.
Commenting on the Rides businesses third year anniversary in Bangladesh, Ratul Ghosh, Head of Bangladesh & East India, said, “We are proud to be an important part of Bangladesh’s mobility ecosystem for the past 3 years and are continuing our commitment to the market with the launch of UberPOOL. At Uber, we want to use technology for efficient carpooling because we believe this is the future. On this occasion of completing three successful years in Bangladesh, I’d like to thank the Government of Bangladesh, our business partners, riders and driver partners for their support, and want to reassure them that we will continue to strive for excellence and growth in this very important market.”
Five years since its first launch, UberPOOL today has evolved and defined the next generation of shared mobility. With the capability to match riders optimally and provide better, shorter, and faster routes with fewer detours, UberPOOL delivers an affordable and consistent option to consumers.
How to request an UberPOOL ride:
• You’ll see Pool in the app.
• Once requested, you will get matched with the most compatible co-riders and a driver nearby, and the best spot for pickup in under 2 minutes.
• When your ride details are finalized, the app gives you walking directions and the ETA to pick up so you know when and where to meet your driver.
• As you near the end of your trip, the Uber app will choose a drop off spot, notify you, and provide walking directions to your final destination.
• More than one million residents of Dhaka’s have taken a trip with Uber in the last three months
• The most popular pick-up point is Dhaka airport
• The most popular drop-off destination is Dhaka’s airport, followed by Panthapath and Sadarghat
• In 2019, 4th August was Uber’s busiest day
• In 2019, riders from 76 countries have used Uber when visiting Bangladesh
• The average wait time in Dhaka is under 6 minutes
Uber’s mission is to create opportunity through movement. We started in 2010 to solve a simple problem: how do you get access to a ride at the touch of a button? More than 10 billion trips later, we’re building products to get people closer to where they want to be. By changing how people, food, and things move through cities, Uber is a platform that opens up the world to new possibilities.